Tuesday, July 2, 2013

May 26, 2013 - Day 50

May 26, 2013 - Day 50

I haven't posted about Bella in a few days because there hasn't really been any progress. I got scared - very, very scared Thursday and Friday. It seemed that Bella had started getting weaker again. Her rehab doctor examined her Friday and said (1) Bella is not to go in the pool for 2 weeks because it completely zaps her and (2) she needs more motivation at home. I spoke with the GBS survivor/advocate and she has the same theory about the motivation. Bella is currently a full-time job. She needs more than just someone to help her to the restroom and get her food. She needs someone to sit her up out of the recliner, out of her wheelchair and play a game, do a craft, etc. Basically she needs all day OT and PT in order to continue to progress. The problem is that we all work and while I can work from home and meet her basic needs, I cannot work and provide the constant attention and motivation that is essential.
I'm extremely relieved that the doctor's diagnosis does not involve another hospital stay but also left uncertain of how to fix it. We're going to start with retired family members and see if we can account for most of the week that way. Then we may have to hire someone to come in the other weekdays. I hope we can work it out and that Bella starts to show improvements and gets back to the strength she had when she left the hospital.
Brian, Faith and I traveled to Mabank in the nasty storms Friday night to spend a hard 3 days packing. Tuesday we will move to a new rental in Kyle (still own our Georgetown house). My parents are taking care of Bella and Brody all weekend. My dad seems to have found a new calling as a therapist. He pushes Bella to put on her own shoes and to get up and walk with her walker. He coaches her about how to stand and move and try harder and doesn't give in when she cries (I'm a sucker for the tears). If only his job wasn't so demanding, he could be the answer to our problems!
Continued prayers are needed and if you have a suggestion/idea on how to motivate Bella or who to call for outside help, I'll gladly listen.
 

Thanks Sharon for the awesome shirt! She loves it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment